Monday, December 24, 2018

Japanese Whisky Highball


Let’s usher out 2018 and welcome 2019 with a libation. How about a Japanese Whisky Highball? On a recent trip to Japan, I made it a point to sample as many Whisky Highballs as reasonably possible. I bought these refreshing drinks at 7-Elevens (in cans), in ramen shops and even at a ritzy bar atop the New Otani Hotel in Tokyo. All tasted a little different, but all delightful.

Here’s the recipe that I use to make a Japanese Whisky Highball at home. 

50 ml Japanese whisky
Approximately 120 ml soda water
Ice

1. Pour chilled whisky into a chilled highball or collins glass.
2. Add ice to glass.
3. Pour chilled soda water into glass and gently stir.

I use different Japanese whiskies depending on my mood. On occasion I reach for Baller Single Malt, a Japanese-style whisky made by St. George Spirits in Alameda, California. St. George’s website says that “[w]e created this spirit with Japanese-style whiskey highballs in mind….” Finding a bottle might be a little tough, but worth the effort. 

Kanpai! Cheers! Wishing all A Merry Christmas and A Very Happy and Healthy New Year!